In this section, you will find descriptions of candidate profiles that are being seeked for open positions, both temporary and permanent positions (below), and internships at ELDA/ELRA.
Senior Research and Development Engineer
Under the supervision of the CEO, the responsibilities of the Senior R&D Engineer include designing, developing, documenting, deploying and maintaining tools, software components or web applications for language resource production and management, as well as carrying out quality control and assessment of language resources.
He/she will be in charge of managing the current language resources production workflows and co-ordinating ELDA’s participation in R&D projects while being also hands-on whenever required by the language resource production and management team. He/she will liaise with external partners at all phases of the projects (submission to calls for proposals, building and management of project teams) within the framework of international, publicly- or privately-funded research and development projects.
This yields excellent opportunities for creative and motivated candidates wishing to participate actively to the Language Engineering field.
- PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Natural Language Processing, or equivalent
- Experience in Natural Language Processing (speech processing, data mining, machine translation, etc.)
- Experience in managing a multi-disciplinary team
- Proficiency in classic shell scripting in a Linux environment (POSIX tools, Bash, awk)
- Proficiency in Python
- Hands-on experience in Django
- Knowledge of a distributed version control system (Git, Mercurial)
- Knowledge of SQL and of RDBMS (PostgreSQL preferred)
- Knowledge of XML and of standard APIs (DOM, SAX)
- Good knowledge of basic Computer Science algorithms
- Familiarity with open source and free software
- Knowledge of a statically typed functional programming language (OCaml preferred) is a strong plus
- Proficiency in French and English, with strong writing and documentation skills in both languages
- Dynamic and communicative, flexible to work on different tasks in parallel
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Citizenship (or residency papers) of a European Union country
All positions are based in Paris. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants should email a cover letter addressing the points listed above together with a curriculum vitae to:
9, rue des Cordelières
Fax : 01 43 13 33 30
ELDA is acting as the distribution agency of the European Language Resources Association (ELRA). ELRA was established in February 1995, with the support of the European Commission, to promote the development and exploitation of Language Resources (LRs). Language Resources include all data necessary for language engineering, such as monolingual and multilingual lexica, text corpora, speech databases and terminology. The role of this non-profit membership Association is to promote the production of LRs, to collect and to validate them and, foremost, make them available to users. The association also gathers information on market needs and trends.
For further information about ELDA and ELRA, visit: